Australian officials claim new lead in search for missing Malaysia Airlines flight

BY Ellen Rolfes  March 20, 2014 at 11:47 AM EDT
Australian Maritime Safety Authority released this photo that shows possible debris from the missing Malaysia Airlines jet that disappeared on March 8, 2014.

Australian Maritime Safety Authority released this photo that shows possible debris from the missing Malaysia Airlines jet that disappeared on March 8, 2014.

Australian officials led a search Thursday in the southern Indian Ocean for evidence of possible debris from missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370.

The Australian Maritime Safety Authority said that Australian military is heading towards what satellite images suggest are two objects about 1,400 miles off the coast of Perth.

One of the objects they are searching for is almost 80 feet in length, the other 15 feet.

“This is a lead; it’s probably the best lead we have right now,” AMSA’s Emergency Response Division general manager John Young told media on Thursday.

However, Young cautioned that the images captured by satellite, “may not be related to the aircraft.”

The Australian GeoSpacial-Intelligence Organization assessed the images and said that they may be “possible indication of debris south of the search area,” Young said.

Fight 370 disappeared March 8 with 239 people on board. There has been no confirmed spotting of the Boeing 777 since then.