Brain-eating amoeba found in Louisiana parish drinking water
A deadly amoeba known to fatally infect human brains has been discovered within a water system in Louisiana.Officials from the Department of Health and Hospitals said Wednesday that the Naegleria fowleri, or “brain-eating” amoeba, was detected within the St. John Water District 1 water system, which serves 12,577 people through three towns within the St. John the Baptist Parish. The department said the water system did not maintain the state-required “minimum disinfectant residual level,” mandated after the same amoeba killed two people in two separate parishes in 2013.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, infections occur when amoeba-contaminated water enters through the nose. The CDC notes, however, that humans can not be infected by drinking water contaminated by the amoeba.
The department said there have been no reported incidents relating to the amoeba. The water system will be put through a chlorine burn today.