Israel strikes Gaza after teenagers’ bodies found

BY Sam Lane  July 1, 2014 at 11:30 AM EST
HEBRON, WEST BANK - JULY 01:  Relatives and neighbours of one of the main suspects Amer Abu-Aisheh are seen in a house destroyed by the Israeli army in response to the murdered Israeli teenagers in Hebron on July 1, 2014 in the West-bank. 16-year-olds Gilad Shaar and Naftali Fraenkel along with 19-year-old Eyal Yifrachwho were kidnapped as they made their way home from school on June 12 in the West Bank and later found dead. Their burials will take place later today.  (Photo by Ilia Yefimovich/Getty Images)

HEBRON, WEST BANK – JULY 01: Relatives and neighbours of one of the main suspects Amer Abu-Aisheh are seen in a house destroyed by the Israeli army in response to the murdered Israeli teenagers in Hebron on July 1, 2014 in the West-bank. 16-year-olds Gilad Shaar and Naftali Fraenkel along with 19-year-old Eyal Yifrachwho were kidnapped as they made their way home from school on June 12 in the West Bank and later found dead. Their burials will take place later today. (Photo by Ilia Yefimovich/Getty Images)

The Israeli military bombed dozens of sites in the Gaza Strip on Tuesday, a day after officials found the bodies of three missing Jewish teens in the West Bank.

According to Reuters, the strikes wounded two Palestinians. Leaders in the U.S., Egypt, and the United Nation were among those calling for calm and restraint as Israel’s security cabinet considered further action.

“[The boys] were abducted and murdered in cold blood by human animals,” Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in a statement yesterday, adding, “Hamas is responsible – and Hamas will pay. May the memories of the three boys be blessed.”

Hamas has so far neither confirmed nor denied its involvement in the disappearance of the boys, Reuters reports. But Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said Netanyahu “must not test” the group’s patience.

Meanwhile, the Israeli city of Modi’in was the site of a joint burial for the teenagers.