Boston Marathon Bombings: Feds Deny Reports of Suspect in Custody

BY News Desk  April 17, 2013 at 2:15 PM EDT

3:07 p.m. ET | Police and reporters have gathered at the Boston courthouse, amid reports that a suspect has been taken custody, the Associated Press reports.

A law enforcement official briefed on the investigation told the Associated Press on Wednesday that a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings had been taken into custody. But the FBI and the U.S. attorneys office dispute the claims.

The official spoke shortly after several media outlets reported that a suspect had been identified from surveillance video taken at a Lord & Taylor store between the sites of the two bomb blasts, which killed three people and wounded more than 170.

The official was not authorized to divulge details of the investigation and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity. The suspect was expected at a Boston courthouse, the official said.

A news briefing is scheduled later Wednesday.