No injuries reported after shooting investigation at San Diego Navy medical center
UPDATE 1:33 p.m. EST | Navy Capt. Curt Jones Person told the press that after an initial sweep of the facility, nothing had been found and no injuries are reported.
He reiterated that the person who reported the incidents said they heard three gunshots.PBS NewsHour will live stream press conferences from San Diego as they go live. Watch in the player above.
ORIGINAL STORY | Authorities are responding to reports of shots fired at the Naval Medical Center in San Diego, a spokesman told the Associated Press.
Spokesman Mike Alvarez told the AP that shots were heard around 8 a.m. PST Tuesday in Building 26 of the compound, but said he “cannot confirm an active shooter.” The center also released a statement saying that the initial reports of the shots came from a single witness and were heard in the basement of the facility. Building 26, which houses the security office and fitness center, is just south of the main hospital complex, according to the medical center’s website.
— Jared Aarons (@10NewsAarons) January 26, 2016
In a Facebook post published shortly after 8 a.m. local time, the center advised all non-emergency personnel to stay away and for occupants to “run, hide or fight.”
The hospital reported via Twitter that all children at the child care center on site are accounted for and that the center has been secured.
!UPDATE! For all concerned, the childcare facilities at NMC are currently secured. All children are accounted for… https://t.co/MaEqH3CozP
— Naval Base San Diego (@NavBaseSD) January 26, 2016
Schools in the area have been placed on lockdown and people at the medical center are sheltering in place, the Associated Press reports.
“We’re not taking any chances and are executing procedures we’ve been trained for in this kind of situation,” Alvarez told the AP.