Target reveals holiday data breach was larger than earlier reported
Data on up to 110 million Target shoppers was stolen in a data breach in late 2013, the retailer reports. Photo by Getty Images
Retail giant Target announced Friday that a holiday-season data breach resulted in stolen information from 70 million customers. According to Mashable, the company originally acknowledged the breach affected credit and debit card accounts for up to 40 million people between Nov. 27 and Dec. 15, 2013.
Now, however, Target says its investigation shows the broader scope of the breach, including stolen names, mailing addresses, and phone numbers. “It has been determined that certain guest information — separate from the payment card data previously disclosed — was taken during the data breach,” Target said in a press release. This could bring the total number of accounts compromised to 110 million, reports the New York Times. “I know that it is frustrating for our guests to learn that this information was taken and we are truly sorry they are having to endure this,” Gregg Steinhafel, Target’s chairman, president and chief executive officer, said in a statement. “I also want our guests to know that understanding and sharing the facts related to this incident is important to me and the entire Target team.”
Target has offered one year of free credit monitoring and identity theft protection for those who shopped in U.S. stores. Also in today’s statement, Target said it has suffered “meaningfully weaker-than-expected” sales since the announcement of the breach.