"A good, scientific investigation has to have clarity - a specific question and strategy - since the results, as in science, may be unexpected."
Gwendolyn Wright is Professor of architecture at Columbia University and also holds appointments in Columbia’s departments of history and art history.
Gwendolyn is one of the most-respected thinkers in her field. And when the history detectives started working together, the team quickly learned to take full advantage of her mental acuity.
When the search for evidence hits a roadblock (and every investigation eventually does) the team relies on Gwendolyn to come up with well-reasoned suggestions and alternative strategies.
The detective most likely to think outside the box, Gwendolyn is particularly adept at organizing the clues and weighing the evidence.
Even when there's a break in the investigative action, some corner of her brain will still be sifting the puzzle pieces in search of solutions.
FAN Q&A: GWEN
Gwen fields your questions.
Case in Point
When Gwendolyn talks about History Detectives, she speaks in terms of connections: the historical links, team interaction and her role in tying it all together for viewers.
"My understanding of the historian's role has always been that of a "history detective" - someone who thinks about different approaches to a question or problem.
An investigator must have curiosity, determination, and an interest in unraveling the "knots" of the past, not just the smooth, obvious strands."
Gwendolyn's most recent publication is USA: Modern Architectures in History about this country's distinctive and exhilarating modern architecture.
You can read more about Gwendolyn at her website.
Find out what Gwendolyn never leaves home without, read our interview.
More from Gwen
- About Pages Gwen Wright - Interview (About Page)
- Video Pages Gwen Wright Interview (Video Page)
- Video Pages Tour with Gwen Wright (Video Page)
- Investigation Shipwreck Cannons Are these the last remains of a navy schooner that fought in a border dispute with the mighty British Empire?
- Investigation Texas POW Camp Was this small town in Texas the home of a WWII POW camp?
- Investigation Body In The Basement Are these the remains of an executed prisoner of war from an English Civil War battle?