Our contributor inherited a 1775 Almanac from his grandfather.
Judging from notes in the margins, this document is far more than a dusty reference manual. Someone has used it as a diary.
The scrawled notes give History Detectives a rare, intimate insight into how conflicting loyalties may have strained personal relationships during the Revolution.
Who wrote this diary? And what role did the author play in the Revolutionary War?
10 ½ Beacon Street
Boston, MA 02108
George Washington's Almanac
- Also in Season 9 World War II Leaflets How did this scrap of paper help change the course of World War II?
- Related Investigation Our Colored Heroes Is this a WWI recruitment poster... or something else?
- Also with Elyse Luray Broadway Ballet Shoes Did this dancer's great-great-grandfather teach Salvatore Capezio to make ballet shoes?
- Also with Elyse Luray St Valentine's Day Massacre Was this weapon fired in one of the nation's most infamous crimes?
- Related Investigation Front Street Blockhouse Did this unassuming house protect an American colony from attack almost 300 years ago?
- Also with Elyse Luray Andrew Jackson's Mouth How was this wood fragment connected to one of the most celebrated political protests of the 19th century?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.