African American Comic Book
Support provided by:
Our contributor found an unusual 1950's comic book at an auction, titled Negro Romance.
This was the Golden Age of comic books, when Americans voraciously consumed stories about superheroes, determined detectives and thrilling romances - yet very few featured African American characters.
Did black artists create this comic book?
And who was the intended audience?
History Detectives investigates.
Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art (MoCCA)
594 Broadway, Suite 401
New York, NY 10012
Tel. 212-254-3511 Fax 212-254-3590
Geppi’s Entertainment Museum
301 W Camden St
Baltimore, MD 21201
Phone: (410) 625-7060
- Also with Gwen Wright Body In The Basement Are these the remains of an executed prisoner of war from an English Civil War battle?
- Also with Gwen Wright Leopold Medal What does this medal reveal about a top-secret American Military project during WWII?
- Related Investigation Internment Artwork What is the story behind these watercolor paintings of a prison camp?
- Also in Post War: 1945-1970 Leisurama Homes What happened to the Leisurama homes apparently widely sold in Florida?
- Also in Post War: 1945-1970 U.S.S. Thresher Do these documents disclose information about U.S. secret weapons in the Cold War?
- Also with Gwen Wright Movie Palace Is this small Wisconsin town theater the country's first great movie palace?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Post War object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentWhat is this glorifying the firearm (which is a semi-automatic by the way) of a criminal? (2 days ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (7 months ago)
- FacebookSome wisdom as the day draws to a close. Like my page for more conversations. Enjoy your evening. Peace, Tukufu. (7 hours ago)