African American Comic Book
Support provided by:
Our contributor found an unusual 1950's comic book at an auction, titled Negro Romance.
This was the Golden Age of comic books, when Americans voraciously consumed stories about superheroes, determined detectives and thrilling romances - yet very few featured African American characters.
Did black artists create this comic book?
And who was the intended audience?
History Detectives investigates.
Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art (MoCCA)
594 Broadway, Suite 401
New York, NY 10012
Tel. 212-254-3511 Fax 212-254-3590
Geppi’s Entertainment Museum
301 W Camden St
Baltimore, MD 21201
Phone: (410) 625-7060
- Related Investigation Civil War Letters What can these letters reveal about a racially-charged massacre on a Civil War battlefield?
- Also with Gwen Wright Leopold Medal What does this medal reveal about a top-secret American Military project during WWII?
- Also with Gwen Wright Geronimo Photograph Is this photo really an image of the legendary Apache warrior Geronimo?
- Related Investigation Bettie Page Slide Is this a lost Bettie Page image by Irving Klaw?
- Also with Gwen Wright Silent Film Reel Could this film reel could be a silent movie once lost forever to history?
- Also in Season 9 John Brown Pike How did this metal blade spark violent tension between the North and the South?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Post War object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)