A couple in Southern California with a vintage wooden car restoration business own a classic Airstream trailer that may lay claim to an illustrious past.
The trailer’s fading numbers and logo signify it is an early member of the elite Wally Byam Caravan Club International. Members of this adventure club followed legendary leader and Airstream founder Wally Byam all over the world in the mid-twentieth century, from Central America to Europe and from Africa to the Yucatan Peninsula.
Did this particular Airstream make the journey on the historic “Cape Town to Cairo Caravan” of 1959?
History Detectives explores one man’s wanderlust at the birth of American leisure travel and, ultimately, to a spectacular 221-day, 14,307-mile trek from the tip of Southern Africa to the pyramids of Ancient Egypt.
- Related Investigation Coney Island Lions Could this be an artifact from the bygone days of early amusement parks?
- Related Investigation Universal Friends What can this 200-year-old document reveal about the first American-born woman to lead a religious movement?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Seth Eastman Painting Is this painting a true depiction of Native American life from one of the premiere painters of the American West?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Teddy Roosevelt War Club What could this strange object have to do with Teddy Roosevelt and his run for a third term presidency?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Japanese Carved Cane What can the message on this cane expose about life behind barbed wire in World War II America?
- Also in Post War: 1945-1960 Korean War Letter What does this letter reveal about a forgotten act of heroism during the final days of the Korean War?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.