Support provided by:
A couple in Southern California with a vintage wooden car restoration business own a classic Airstream trailer that may lay claim to an illustrious past.
The trailer’s fading numbers and logo signify it is an early member of the elite Wally Byam Caravan Club International. Members of this adventure club followed legendary leader and Airstream founder Wally Byam all over the world in the mid-twentieth century, from Central America to Europe and from Africa to the Yucatan Peninsula.
Did this particular Airstream make the journey on the historic “Cape Town to Cairo Caravan” of 1959?
History Detectives explores one man’s wanderlust at the birth of American leisure travel and, ultimately, to a spectacular 221-day, 14,307-mile trek from the tip of Southern Africa to the pyramids of Ancient Egypt.
- Related Investigation Nazi Spy Toys Did a Nazi spy buy these toy soldiers?
- Also in Post War: 1945-1970 Korean War Letter What does this letter reveal about a forgotten act of heroism during the final days of the Korean War?
- Related Investigation Stalag 17 Portrait What happened to the artist of this portrait made in a German POW camp?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Wartime Baseball Is this baseball evidence of an unusual ballgame that took place during segregation?
- Also in Post War: 1945-1970 Cleveland Electric Car What happened to the electric street car network in Cleveland?
- Also in Post War: 1945-1970 Charlie Parker's Saxophone Could this be jazz legend Charlie "Bird" Parker's saxophone?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Post War object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)