Andrew Jackson's Mouth
Thirty-five years ago a collector traded some duck decoys for an item inside a Sunbeam electric iron box. This item was wrapped in sheepskin, a mouth and chin carved out of wood.
Articles and a letter at the bottom of the box say this mouth was part of a figurehead of President Andrew Jackson affixed to the bow of U.S.S. Constitution until protestors vandalized the carving in the 1830’s.
Could this wooden mouth have once adorned U.S.S. Constitution? History Detectives gets clues from a U.S.S. Constitution historian, and a historian in 19th century woodcarving.
Book extract: Dewey's Account
This book extract is Samuel Dewey's account of the taking of Andrew Jackson's figurehead. The interview took place several years after the event, and is thought to be the only time Dewey spoke directly about the incident. (Source: Historic fields and mansions of Middlesex by Samuel Adams Drake)
- Also with Elyse Luray General Lee's Farewell Address Could this be a signed copy of one of the most famous documents in the history of the Civil War?
- Related Investigation George Washington Miniature Did the artist paint this portrait from life, and what is its surprising connection to the abolitionist White Matlack?
- Also in Season 9 Chandler Tintype How did this Civil War era tintype help re-ignite a fiery debate about African Americans bearing arms for the confederacy?
- Also with Elyse Luray Drone Propellor Could this propellor have powered a top secret weapon that transformed modern warfare?
- Also with Elyse Luray Houdini Poster Could these be original theatre posters of the greatest magician on earth?
- Also in Season 9 Ronald McDonald Costume Is this the costume that helped serve up a billion Happy Meals?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.