Annie Oakley Coin
Support provided by:
A contributor from Bath, Maine has an 1853 French Napoleon coin with a bent, split edge and a great bit of family lore: it's said that the coin was shot by Annie Oakley and that Annie herself gave the coin to two of the contributor's great-grand uncles.
It doesn't look like any of the souvenir coins the Wild West icon typically handed out to her many fans. Can we prove that the sharp-shooting star of Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show shot up the coin for the two brothers - and turn family lore into bona fide bragging rights?
To find out, History Detectives conducts ballistics tests, scours the Buffalo Bill Historical Center archives and recreates one of Oakley's sure shots.
- Also with Elyse Luray Nesbit Portrait Is this portrait a lost masterpiece by one of America's greatest artists?
- Related Investigation Blueprint Special Did this record play a dramatic role in the Allied victory during the Second World War?
- Related Investigation Civil War Submarine Is this submarine an example of new technology developed by the Confederates during the Civil War?
- Also with Elyse Luray Lafayette China Did the Marquis de Lafayette give this china set to the popular wife of the Patriot Mayor?
- Also in Expansion: 1801-1861 Koranic School Book Why does this 200 year old schoolbook contain two translated passages from the Koran?
- Also in Season 6 Bill Picket Saddle Did this saddle ride into cowboy history with one of rodeo's most daring innovators?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from Expansion: 1801-1861? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)