Support provided by:
A viewer from Colorado thinks he may have discovered a gem of Gold Rush memorabilia when he found an unusual drawing.
This drawing depicts four huge gold nuggets, weighing one, two, six and ten pounds. Someone has overlaid the nuggets with curious, almost cartoon-like pictures: a bag of gold dust, a scowling turtle, a Colt revolver, and the profile of a man’s grinning face. The signature, I.W. Baker, catches our contributor’s eye.
Could this be the Isaac Baker famous for his photographs of the Gold Rush? And did miners actually find gold nuggets that large? History Detectives visits Baker’s haunts in California and talks with Gold Rush curators to reveal the story behind this drawing.
Drawings and Photographs by Isaac Baker
- Also in Season 9 1775 Almanac What do these crumbling pages reveal about divided loyalties during the American Revolution?
- Related Investigation NC-4: First Across The Atlantic Is this piece of fabric a remnant from the first transatlantic flight?
- Also with Wes Cowan Confederate Eyeglass Is this how southern sympathizers identified each other during the Civil War?
- Also in Expansion: 1801-1861 Booth Letter Did the father of John Wilkes Booth threaten to assassinate the President?
- Also in Season 8 Diana How did this alleged lesbian autobiography escape censorship in the 1930’s?
- Also with Wes Cowan Mark Twain's Watch Was this watch a gift from noted author American author Mark Twain?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from Expansion: 1801-1861? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)