Bill Of Sale
Support provided by:
While cleaning out her parents’ attic, Jeanie Hans found a box of her grandfather’s possessions. Among some books and old gun manuals she found a disturbing document: an 1829 ‘Bill of Sale’ for the purchase of a 17-year old “negro girl” named Willoby.
The document has haunted Jeanie ever since she found it. She would like to know more about the young girl and asks History Detectives host Eduardo Pagán to find out what happened to Willoby.
Old Slave Mart Museum
6 Chalmers Street
Charleston, SC 29401
Francis Marion University
4822 East Palmetto Street
Florence, SC 29506
Marion County Archives & History Center
101 North Main Street
Marion, South Carolina 29571
- Related Investigation Liberty Bell Pin Was one of America’s most iconic symbols melted down into a mere memento?
- Related Investigation Tumbling Tumbleweeds Why would writing this song be bad for Bob Nolan?
- Also in Season 10 Bootlegger's Notebook Does this book belong to a Prohibition era bootlegger?
- Also with Eduardo Pagán Civil War Letters What can these letters reveal about a racially-charged massacre on a Civil War battlefield?
- Also with Eduardo Pagán Hollywood Sign Is this a piece of the original Hollywood sign?
- Also in Season 10 Bob Dylan Guitar Is this the guitar Bob Dylan played at the Newport Folk Festival in 1965?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from Expansion: 1801-1861? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (6 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (6 months ago)