Bill Picket Saddle
Support provided by:
A Staten Island woman has a well-worn saddle with the name “Bill Pickett” burned into it. She believes it was once owned by legendary cowboy Bill Pickett, an African-American Wild West Show and film star.
Pickett invented bulldogging, the rodeo event now known as steer wrestling. His back story is perhaps most intriguing: born to slave parents, Pickett rose to entertain kings and dignitaries on an international tour of his Wild West show, and he counted among his friends Will Rogers and Tom Mix.
History Detectives visits the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum, meets a real-life steer wrestler and talks with a 101 Ranch historian about the legacy of the legendary “Bulldogger”.
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Lindbergh Engine Could a 24-year-old have single-handedly built the engine for Lindbergh's plane?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Bootlegger's Notebook Does this book belong to a Prohibition era bootlegger?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Carson Family Secrets Is this book a Carson family heirloom?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi 1856 Mormon Tale Is this tattered book a true account of female slavery in the old West?
- Related Investigation Ventriloquist Dummy How did an African-American ventriloquist act become so successful in a time of racial unrest?
- Related Investigation Exercise Records What role did these records play in the sculpting of america's fixation with fitness?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from an Emerging Modern America?
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)