Bill Picket Saddle
Support provided by:
A Staten Island woman has a well-worn saddle with the name “Bill Pickett” burned into it. She believes it was once owned by legendary cowboy Bill Pickett, an African-American Wild West Show and film star.
Pickett invented bulldogging, the rodeo event now known as steer wrestling. His back story is perhaps most intriguing: born to slave parents, Pickett rose to entertain kings and dignitaries on an international tour of his Wild West show, and he counted among his friends Will Rogers and Tom Mix.
History Detectives visits the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum, meets a real-life steer wrestler and talks with a 101 Ranch historian about the legacy of the legendary “Bulldogger”.
- Related Investigation Superman Sketch Is this a WWII sketch from the early days of this comic icon?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Wartime Baseball Is this baseball evidence of an unusual ballgame that took place during segregation?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Slave Banjo Is this the only surviving banjo carried by former slaves following Emancipation?
- Also in this episode Hitler Films Could these rusting film canisters contain unknown footage of one of the 20th century's most heinous murderers?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Luxury Liner Picture Frame Is this picture frame a piece of the Titanic, Lusitania or neither?
- Related Investigation Charlie Parker's Saxophone Could this be jazz legend Charlie "Bird" Parker's saxophone?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from an Emerging Modern America?
- Latest CommentWhat is this glorifying the firearm (which is a semi-automatic by the way) of a criminal? (2 days ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (7 months ago)
- FacebookSome wisdom as the day draws to a close. Like my page for more conversations. Enjoy your evening. Peace, Tukufu. (6 hours ago)