Birthplace Of Hip Hop
Support provided by:
A hip hop enthusiast from New York City has always heard that 1520 Sedgwick Avenue in the Bronx is the birthplace of hip hop.
The story goes that on August 11, 1973 DJ Kool Herc, a building resident, was entertaining at his sister’s back-to-school party, and tried something new on the turntable: he extended an instrumental beat (breaking or scratching) to let people dance longer (break dancing) and began MC’ing (rapping) during the extended breakdancing.
This, the contributor believes, marked the birth of hip hop. The music led to an entire cultural movement that’s altered generational thinking – from politics and race to art and language.
History Detectives sets out to examine an inner city environment that helped lay the foundation for a cultural revolution.
- Related Investigation Cannon House Could this family home once have been the headquarters of the kidnapper and slave trader Patty Cannon?
- Also in Season 6 Shipwreck Cannons Are these the last remains of a navy schooner that fought in a border dispute with the mighty British Empire?
- Related Investigation Grace Kelly Car Is this the car driven by an actress turned princess, which would give it a place in cinematic history?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Black Star Line Is this certificate a rare artifact from the heyday of Marcus Garvey?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Dempsey Fight Bell Is this the bell that sat ringside at the world's first boxing superstar's legendary match?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi United Empire Loyalist What can this family tree reveal about Americans who fought for the British in the Revolutionary War?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Post War object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentI have a Pearl Harbor story. It involves a bracelet that was fashioned from the dial labels of one of the kamikaze fighter jets. The dashboard was pulled out before the plane went up in flames after it had crashed. The bracelet was given to my grandmother, (15 hours ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (7 months ago)
- FacebookSome wisdom as the day draws to a close. Like my page for more conversations. Enjoy your evening. Peace, Tukufu. (2 days ago)