Support provided by:
A WWII veteran from Chico, California owns a unique souvenir from his time as a young GI. While stationed at Fort Dix, New Jersey, he picked up a 16-inch acetate recording of a promo for a soldier musical called “Hi Yank.”
The recording starts with a director's introduction explaining the musical is a “blueprint special” created by GIs for GIs to be performed anywhere in the world. Our contributor has heard of United Service Organization shows to support troops by boosting morale, but never a “blueprint special” musical.
Could this recording be a piece of forgotten history?
History Detectives meets with U.S. Army archivists and historians to find out if this disk was connected to the American war effort.
- Also in Season 6 Shipwreck Cannons Are these the last remains of a navy schooner that fought in a border dispute with the mighty British Empire?
- Related Investigation Mouse Toy Could this tiny toy labeled 'Micky' be the original Mickey Mouse?
- Related Investigation Civil War Submarine Is this submarine an example of new technology developed by the Confederates during the Civil War?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Leopold Medal What does this medal reveal about a top-secret American Military project during WWII?
- Also with Elyse Luray Connecticut Farmhouse Why did this Connecticut farmhouse have so many owners in such a short space of time?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Drone Propellor Could this propellor have powered a top secret weapon that transformed modern warfare?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Depression or World War II object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)