Support provided by:
Kevin O’Connell fondly recalls spending time as a kid with his wealthy Great Uncle Mike in his grand New York City apartment. Sifting through a box of his Uncle Mike’s books Kevin came across a small, leather-bound journal. When he opened the book, Kevin was startled to find hand-written instructions for making large quantities of popular liquors such as gin, whisky, and rum.
No one in the family has seen this notebook. Why would Uncle Mike, who had a successful paving business, have a book like this? Kevin now wonders if maybe his uncle earned his money as a Prohibition era bootlegger. Kevin asks History Detectives host Elyse Luray to find the facts behind this mysterious journal.
New York Distilling Company
405 Leonard Street
Brooklyn, NY 11222
Raines Law Room
48 West 17th Street
New York City, NY
- Also with Elyse Luray Civil War Bridge Has a new discovery rewritten Civil War history?
- Also in Season 10 Beatles Autographs Are these genuine Beatles signatures?
- Also with Elyse Luray Civil War Submarine Is this submarine an example of new technology developed by the Confederates during the Civil War?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Crazy Horse Photo Is this the only photograph of a Native American legend?
- Also with Elyse Luray Cherokee Bible What can this bible written in Cherokee tell us about one of the darkest chapters in Indian history?
- Related Investigation Seth Eastman Painting Is this painting a true depiction of Native American life from one of the premiere painters of the American West?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from an Emerging Modern America?
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)