Cast Iron Eagle
Support provided by:
One of the main attractions at a family-run zoo in Sussex, NJ is a majestic, 12-foot-high cast iron eagle perched on an orb in the center of the park. Our contributor’s grandfather founded the park 1927, and family lore is that the eagle had once been perched atop an old post office in New York.
A visitor to the zoo tells the family that the eagle resembles the giant cast iron eagles that graced the old Grand Central Station in Manhattan. The eagle dates to the post-Civil War period, when decorative style involved cast iron prefabrication.
But was Grand Central Station - built for railroad magnate Cornelius Vanderbilt - its original home?
History Detectives investigates the arts and crafts movement at the turn of the 19th century.
- Also with Wes Cowan Whaling Ship Might a ship docked in Mystic Seaport, hold secrets to the Underground Railroad?
- Related Investigation Chicago Clock What role did this clock play in keeping 19th century America running on time?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Prison Plaque Were convicted felons responsible for bringing peace to Western Europe during World War I?
- Also with Wes Cowan Civil War POW Photos Were these pictures made in a Civil War prison with a home-made camera?
- Related Investigation Dutch Colonial Home What role did these menacing forts play in the settling of this part of the West?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 PsychoPhone Did Thomas Edison make a machine to unlock the secrets of the dead?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from an Emerging Modern America?
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (6 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (6 months ago)