Cesar Chavez Banner
Support provided by:
A San Francisco woman has heard about a beautiful old banner owned by a local archive that, rumor has it, was carried at the head of the famous Delano Grape Boycott march led by Cesar Chavez in 1966.
The banner features a painted Virgin of Guadalupe and a Union of Farm Workers Eagle, but its original ownership is a mystery.
The contributor wants to know what role this banner may have played in Chavez' campaign to pursue better living conditions and rights for Mexican-American farm workers.
History Detectives travels to the West Coast to investigate the importance of art in one of the most famous civil rights campaigns in U.S. history
- Also with Gwen Wright First Movie Studio Could a broken gateway once have been the grand entrance to a Hollywood studio?
- Also in Post War: 1945-1970 Space Boot What does this odd-looking boot have to do with America's first steps in space?
- Also in Post War: 1945-1970 Satelloon Could this three-inch square of metallic material be part of America's first satellite program?
- Also in Post War: 1945-1970 Bettie Page Slide Is this a lost Bettie Page image by Irving Klaw?
- Related Investigation Baker's Gold What role did these unusual drawings play in one of the largest mass migrations in American history?
- Also with Gwen Wright Boxcar Home Why is a boxcar buried beneath this suburban kitchen?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Post War object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (6 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (6 months ago)