Cesar Chavez Banner
Support provided by:
A San Francisco woman has heard about a beautiful old banner owned by a local archive that, rumor has it, was carried at the head of the famous Delano Grape Boycott march led by Cesar Chavez in 1966.
The banner features a painted Virgin of Guadalupe and a Union of Farm Workers Eagle, but its original ownership is a mystery.
The contributor wants to know what role this banner may have played in Chavez' campaign to pursue better living conditions and rights for Mexican-American farm workers.
History Detectives travels to the West Coast to investigate the importance of art in one of the most famous civil rights campaigns in U.S. history
- Also with Gwen Wright Nora Holt Autograph Book Why did this Harlem Renaissance luminary own a book filled with U.S. Presidents' signatures?
- Also with Gwen Wright Creole Poems Does this manuscript contain words of love or illegal acts of rebellion?
- Also in Post War: 1945-1970 Satelloon Could this three-inch square of metallic material be part of America's first satellite program?
- Also in Post War: 1945-1970 Frank Zappa Collage Is the artist who created this piece Frank Zappa?
- Also with Gwen Wright Howard Hughes Invention Was this oil drilling device really a Howard Hughes invention?
- Related Investigation GAR Photograph How did two African Americans come to be part of this photograph in Reconstructionist-era America?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Post War object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (2 weeks ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (8 months ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (2 weeks ago)