Civil War Cannon
Support provided by:
A Charleston, SC antique dealer discovered a century old puzzle in a corked test tube.
The tube contained what appeared to be metal filings along with a note that reads: "Old Secession was rebored at the Charleston Iron Works May 4/99 and fired by Palmetto Guard Company U.C.V. in honor of U.C.V. reunion May 10/99."
Growing up he had heard the story of a Charleston cannon that fired the shot that began the Civil War.
Could these shavings come from the cannon that sounded the first volley in the fight for southern secession?
History Detectives goes to the harbor overlooking Ft. Sumter, the first battlefield of the Civil War and gets crucial information from an expert that restores cannons.
Confederate Museum Charleston
188 Meeting Street
Charleston, SC 29401-3155
UCV Reunion Brochure
- Also in Season 9 Ince Ledger What does this accounts ledger for a movie company have to do with the changing world of the Lakota Sioux?
- Related Investigation Calhoun Books Are these the books of the famed intellectual architect of the Confederacy?
- Also with Elyse Luray Grace Kelly Car Is this the car driven by an actress turned princess, which would give it a place in cinematic history?
- Also with Elyse Luray Cannon House Could this family home once have been the headquarters of the kidnapper and slave trader Patty Cannon?
- Also with Elyse Luray Calf Creek Arrow Is this arrow found in a bison skull just another hoax or an incredible archeological discovery?
- Also in Civil War: 1850-1877 Preston Brook's Riding Crop Was this riding crop a gift from Jefferson Davis as a reward for attacking a political opponent?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Civil War object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)