Civil War Deringers
Support provided by:
Dulcie Bomberger brought her pair of Civil War era pistols to the Antiques Roadshow and appraiser Christopher Mitchell told her they were worth as much as $30,000, but if she had more information about the original owner the guns could be worth much more.
This is where History Detectives steps in. Hunting for the man behind these pistols takes History Detectives host Wes Cowan to a Civil War border state torn between loyalties to the blue and the gray.
Kentucky Historical Society
100 W. Broadway
Frankfort, KY 40601
John P. Thompson Letters
- Also with Wes Cowan Pretty Boy Floyd's Gun Did this vintage Colt handgun belong to the outlaw Charles "Pretty Boy" Floyd?
- Related Investigation Civil War Letters What can these letters reveal about a racially-charged massacre on a Civil War battlefield?
- Related Investigation Lookout Mountain Painting What can this painting tell us about a turning point in the Civil War?
- Also in Civil War: 1850-1877 Dutch Colonial Home What role did these menacing forts play in the settling of this part of the West?
- Also in Civil War: 1850-1877 Civil War Balloon Could this piece of frayed material be from the country's first military airship?
- Also with Wes Cowan Lawrence Billy Club Was this truncheon used in the famous Bread and Roses labor strike?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Civil War object? Submit your story now.
- Latest Commentthat's unique, if anyone has anything similar to this, then you should do what i do, share your artwork on Art Radio it is one the best up and coming social media platforms for musicians and artists. (3 days ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (7 months ago)
- FacebookHow much do you think it will be worth in 50 years? (3 days ago)