Civil War Letters
Support provided by:
A couple of stamp enthusiasts found far more than stamps in a box they purchased. In the box, along with Civil War era stamps, we find letters addressed to a William Blackford, Senate Post, Washington, D.C.
One letter appears to be from his brother, John Blackford. In the letter John asks for help securing an officer position in an African American unit. A second letter informs William Blackford that his brother, John, has been wounded.
Why would John Blackford want to command an African American unit?
Did he survive his wounds and did he ever receive the commission?
History Detectives investigates.
African American Civil War Memorial and Museum
1200 U Street Northwest
Washington D.C., DC 20009-4443
The Kansas State Archives and Historical Society
6425 SW 6th Avenue
Topeka KS 66615-1099
Poison Springs State Historic Park
Ark Hwy 76
Camden, AR 71722
Civil War Battle: After Action Reports
- Also with Eduardo Pagán Lost City of Gold What can these carved letters reveal about the first explorers to visit the American Southwest?
- Also with Eduardo Pagán Continental Club Card What secrets can this business card reveal about glamour and vice in 1930s Los Angeles?
- Related Investigation Marshall House Flag Did this piece of fabric come from a flag that cost a Union colonel his life?
- Related Investigation War Dog letter The military put great effort into a new War Dogs program during WWII. What went wrong on Cat Island?
- Also with Eduardo Pagán Navajo Rug Why would a weaver depart from tradition to make this rug?
- Also in Season 9 Exercise Records What role did these records play in the sculpting of america's fixation with fitness?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Civil War object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)