Civil War Soldier Photo
Support provided by:
A Louisiana resident owns a Civil War photograph featuring a finely boned, slight-figured soldier.
The soldier is simply identified as a member of the Second Louisiana Infantry...but could it be a woman in disguise?
History Detectives heads to Dallas, Texas and Arlington, Virginia to learn more about the remarkable contributions of women during the Civil War and to find out if this could indeed be the only photo of a Confederate woman soldier known to exist.
- Also with Elyse Luray Szyk Picture Could these be early drawings of America's most influential political cartoonist?
- Related Investigation Civil War Submarine Is this submarine an example of new technology developed by the Confederates during the Civil War?
- Also in this episode Doc Holliday's Watch Was this watch a gift from the fearless frontier lawman Wyatt Earp to the gambler Doc Holliday?
- Also with Elyse Luray NC-4: First Across The Atlantic Is this piece of fabric a remnant from the first transatlantic flight?
- Related Investigation Confederate Eyeglass Is this how southern sympathizers identified each other during the Civil War?
- Also in Civil War: 1850-1877 John Hunt Morgan Saddle Could this be a saddle from one of the most audacious attacks launched by the South during the Civil War?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Civil War object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentI have a Pearl Harbor story. It involves a bracelet that was fashioned from the dial labels of one of the kamikaze fighter jets. The dashboard was pulled out before the plane went up in flames after it had crashed. The bracelet was given to my grandmother, (1 day ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (7 months ago)
- FacebookWes here -- hope everyone is having a great long weekend. As you enjoy your time with friends or family , take a minute to remember all those who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country. (5 hours ago)