Civil War Submarine
Support provided by:
In Louisiana's bustling French Quarter sits a surprising remnant of American warfare - a Civil War-era submarine.
1861: The first shots of the Civil War have just been fired. But the battle between North and South isn’t confined to the land. Control of the sea and rivers is also crucial. To break Union blockades and keep their economy afloat, the Confederates turn to a new tactic, to a vessel that could surprise enemy ships.
Salvaged from the depths of a New Orleans lake, the origin of this vessel remains a murky mystery. Now a New Orleans man wants to know if his great-grandfather helped build the iron-clad wonder.
Can the History Detectives get to the bottom of this mystery and bring the early history of America's secretive
underwater warfare to the surface?
- Related Investigation The Ni'ihau Incident What do these metal parts reveal about the surprise attack on Pearl Harbor?
- Related Investigation Black Tom Shell Is this shell from a devastating act of foreign sabotage on American soil?
- Also in Civil War: 1850-1877 Whaling Ship Might a ship docked in Mystic Seaport, hold secrets to the Underground Railroad?
- Also with Elyse Luray Boarding House Flag Did this flag once save a boarding house from being burned down at the height of the Civil War?
- Also with Elyse Luray Broadway Ballet Shoes Did this dancer's great-great-grandfather teach Salvatore Capezio to make ballet shoes?
- Also with Elyse Luray Kittery Telescope What can this telescope reveal about America’s earliest struggles for independence?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Civil War object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentI have a Pearl Harbor story. It involves a bracelet that was fashioned from the dial labels of one of the kamikaze fighter jets. The dashboard was pulled out before the plane went up in flames after it had crashed. The bracelet was given to my grandmother, (9 hours ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (7 months ago)
- FacebookSome wisdom as the day draws to a close. Like my page for more conversations. Enjoy your evening. Peace, Tukufu. (2 days ago)