Civil War Submarine
Support provided by:
In Louisiana's bustling French Quarter sits a surprising remnant of American warfare - a Civil War-era submarine.
1861: The first shots of the Civil War have just been fired. But the battle between North and South isn’t confined to the land. Control of the sea and rivers is also crucial. To break Union blockades and keep their economy afloat, the Confederates turn to a new tactic, to a vessel that could surprise enemy ships.
Salvaged from the depths of a New Orleans lake, the origin of this vessel remains a murky mystery. Now a New Orleans man wants to know if his great-grandfather helped build the iron-clad wonder.
Can the History Detectives get to the bottom of this mystery and bring the early history of America's secretive
underwater warfare to the surface?
- Related Investigation Bob Dylan Guitar Is this the guitar Bob Dylan played at the Newport Folk Festival in 1965?
- Related Investigation U.S.S. Thresher Do these documents disclose information about U.S. secret weapons in the Cold War?
- Also with Elyse Luray King Kong Camera Was this old movie camera used to film the original version of King Kong?
- Also in Season 2 Internment Artwork What is the story behind these watercolor paintings of a prison camp?
- Also with Elyse Luray Bootlegger's Notebook Does this book belong to a Prohibition era bootlegger?
- Also with Elyse Luray Poison Pin Are these prototypes for poison suicide pins carried by spy plane pilots during the Cold War?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Civil War object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)