A contributor in Terre Haute, Indiana has a tiny brass eyeglass that, when peered through, reveals an image of Confederate president Jefferson Davis.
February 1862: the Confederate South has seized the upper hand in the "War Between the States". In the North, opposition to President Lincoln grows as fears spread his armies will be defeated. Secret societies form in the Union states bordering the South, united in opposition to both Lincoln and the war. Those southern sympathizers operating north of the Mason Dixon line are surprisingly powerful and dangerous.
The owner believes miniature “Davis” eyeglass pieces were a wartime adornment of Confederate supporters in the North who used these objects to secretly identify themselves to one another.
History Detectives travels to New York and Virginia to examine the intricacies of microphotography and the truth behind a possible sympathizer "secret handshake."
- Also with Elyse Luray Hindenburg Artifact Was this device snatched from the burning wreckage of the ill-fated zeppelin?
- Related Investigation Teddy Roosevelt War Club What could this strange object have to do with Teddy Roosevelt and his run for a third term presidency?
- Also with Wes Cowan McKinley Casket Flag Did this flag once drape the casket of President William McKinley?
- Also with Elyse Luray Flint Lock Rifle Was this the gun of one of the most infamous bandits operating to undermine the birth of our nation?
- Also in Season 4 Lindbergh Engine Could a 24-year-old have single-handedly built the engine for Lindbergh's plane?
- Also in Season 4 Lost Musical Treasure Are these fragments of a lost moment in American musical history?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.