A contributor in Terre Haute, Indiana has a tiny brass eyeglass that, when peered through, reveals an image of Confederate president Jefferson Davis.
February 1862: the Confederate South has seized the upper hand in the "War Between the States". In the North, opposition to President Lincoln grows as fears spread his armies will be defeated. Secret societies form in the Union states bordering the South, united in opposition to both Lincoln and the war. Those southern sympathizers operating north of the Mason Dixon line are surprisingly powerful and dangerous.
The owner believes miniature “Davis” eyeglass pieces were a wartime adornment of Confederate supporters in the North who used these objects to secretly identify themselves to one another.
History Detectives travels to New York and Virginia to examine the intricacies of microphotography and the truth behind a possible sympathizer "secret handshake."
- Also with Elyse Luray Amelia Earhart Plane Was this piece of metal ripped from one of the most famous missing planes in history?
- Also in Season 4 Lindbergh Engine Could a 24-year-old have single-handedly built the engine for Lindbergh's plane?
- Also with Wes Cowan Lewis & Clark's Cane Was this family heirloom a gift from the famous explorers Lewis and Clark?
- Also with Elyse Luray Calf Creek Arrow Is this arrow found in a bison skull just another hoax or an incredible archeological discovery?
- Related Investigation Home of Lincoln Assassination Plot Did the plot to assassinate Abraham Lincoln begin in this New York City building?
- Related Investigation Civil War Submarine Is this submarine an example of new technology developed by the Confederates during the Civil War?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.