Continental Club Card
Support provided by:
A Guemes Island, WA man wants to know why his father's name is on a business card for The Club Continental, a glitzy, Los Angeles Prohibition era gambling spot.
The card has a phone number and his father's name, Fred Nicolls. He's heard that his father worked at the Club Continental; and according to the family story, a mobster named Nola Hahn ran the club.
Fred Nicolls did some prison time for bootlegging during Prohibition, but was later pardoned.
History Detectives host Eduardo Pagán steps in to connect the dots and reveal the facts about Fred Nicolls and his business card.
Fred Nicoll's FBI report
- Also in Season 9 Moon Museum Was work by major artists, including Andy Warhol, smuggled to the moon?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Early Monopoly Could this be the earliest version of the world's best-selling board game?
- Also in Season 10 Marshall House Flag Did this piece of fabric come from a flag that cost a Union colonel his life?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Sideshow Babies Was the owner of this cup once a four-pound sideshow exhibit?
- Related Investigation 1856 Mormon Tale Is this tattered book a true account of female slavery in the old West?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Texas POW Camp Was this small town in Texas the home of a WWII POW camp?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Depression or World War II object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentWhat is this glorifying the firearm (which is a semi-automatic by the way) of a criminal? (1 day ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (7 months ago)
- FacebookHow much do you think it will be worth in 50 years? (5 days ago)