Dempsey Fight Bell
July 4, 1919 marks the day America found its true calling in a national obsession. Icon Jack Dempsey became the world’s first boxing superstar, and he did it with the clang of a bell.
Now, a contributor in Reno, Nevada wants to know: Is the bell he’s toasted many a night on the wall of his favorite bar the one that was ringside at Dempsey’s legendary world heavyweight championship match?
The question goes beyond a single fight. Dempsey’s bout ushered in the Roaring 20’s, America’s fascination with celebrity and the golden age of championship sports.
History Detectives sorts truth from myth to determine which clues ring true.
- Related Investigation Lubin Photos What do these photo albums reveal about the birth of the silver screen?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Internment Artwork What is the story behind these watercolor paintings of a prison camp?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Shippen Golf Club Was this the golf club used by John Shippen when he made sporting history in the 1896 U.S. Open?
- Related Investigation Mouse Toy Could this tiny toy labeled 'Micky' be the original Mickey Mouse?
- Also in Season 5 Liberty Bell Pin Was one of America’s most iconic symbols melted down into a mere memento?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Beatles Autographs Are these genuine Beatles signatures?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.