Dempsey Fight Bell
July 4, 1919 marks the day America found its true calling in a national obsession. Icon Jack Dempsey became the world’s first boxing superstar, and he did it with the clang of a bell.
Now, a contributor in Reno, Nevada wants to know: Is the bell he’s toasted many a night on the wall of his favorite bar the one that was ringside at Dempsey’s legendary world heavyweight championship match?
The question goes beyond a single fight. Dempsey’s bout ushered in the Roaring 20’s, America’s fascination with celebrity and the golden age of championship sports.
History Detectives sorts truth from myth to determine which clues ring true.
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Carson Family Secrets Is this book a Carson family heirloom?
- Related Investigation Annie Oakley Coin Was this coin a target for one of the Wild West's most popular female sharpshooters?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Land Grant How did an African-American win freedom and land so early in American history?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Rogue Book Who did this book of rogue characters belong to?
- Related Investigation Lubin Photos What do these photo albums reveal about the birth of the silver screen?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Thomas Edison's House Was this New Jersey home built by inventor Thomas Edison?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.