Dempsey Fight Bell
Support provided by:
July 4, 1919 marks the day America found its true calling in a national obsession. Icon Jack Dempsey became the world’s first boxing superstar, and he did it with the clang of a bell.
Now, a contributor in Reno, Nevada wants to know: Is the bell he’s toasted many a night on the wall of his favorite bar the one that was ringside at Dempsey’s legendary world heavyweight championship match?
The question goes beyond a single fight. Dempsey’s bout ushered in the Roaring 20’s, America’s fascination with celebrity and the golden age of championship sports.
History Detectives sorts truth from myth to determine which clues ring true.
- Also in Season 6 WWII Diary Does this diary hold the key to understanding the fate of a missing bomber pilot from World War II?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Cromwell Dixon Plane Fragment What could this faded scrap of fabric tell us about the first pilot to conquer the Continental Divide?
- Related Investigation Superman Sketch Is this a WWII sketch from the early days of this comic icon?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Fiery Cross What is the story behind this record?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Red Cloud Letter How was a leader of the Lakota people connected with the controversial sculptor of Mount Rushmore?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Mystery Crystal Cross Where did this mysterious religious relic discovered in an old Spanish mission originally come from?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from an Emerging Modern America?
- Latest CommentWhat is this glorifying the firearm (which is a semi-automatic by the way) of a criminal? (1 day ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (7 months ago)
- FacebookHow much do you think it will be worth in 50 years? (5 days ago)