Dempsey Fight Bell
July 4, 1919 marks the day America found its true calling in a national obsession. Icon Jack Dempsey became the world’s first boxing superstar, and he did it with the clang of a bell.
Now, a contributor in Reno, Nevada wants to know: Is the bell he’s toasted many a night on the wall of his favorite bar the one that was ringside at Dempsey’s legendary world heavyweight championship match?
The question goes beyond a single fight. Dempsey’s bout ushered in the Roaring 20’s, America’s fascination with celebrity and the golden age of championship sports.
History Detectives sorts truth from myth to determine which clues ring true.
- Also in Season 6 China Marine Jacket Can the symbols on this jacket identify a marine who may have witnessed paradise tumbling into disaster?
- Related Investigation Houdini Poster Could these be original theatre posters of the greatest magician on earth?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Siberian Bullet What can this bullet reveal about the hidden agenda of American forces in a fight against Soviet Communism?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Suffrage Pennant What can this pennant tell us about one woman's role at a crucial point in Women's Suffrage movement?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Star Spangled Banner Is this the first official copy of the national anthem?
- Also in Season 5 Muhlenberg Robe Was this robe torn off during a fiery sermon to rally congregants to the cause of the Revolutionary War?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.