Drug Smuggling Doll

The Case:

Did the Confederate South use a child’s doll, to smuggle drugs past the Northern blockade? 

In 1923, the descendents of Confederate Major General James Patton Anderson donated the doll ‘Nina’ to the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond, VA. The family says the general’s young niece carried the doll past the blockade with drugs tucked inside her hollow head. The morphine and quinine would aid sick soldiers. 

An X-ray confirms the head is hollow, but the museum has no other documentation to prove the family’s claim.  

History Detectives tracks down the story behind ‘Nina,’ a ‘much loved member of the Anderson family’ and whether she helped to relieve suffering and save lives during the War Between the States.

Discuss this story

Season 9, Episode 8

Gwen Wright Location:
Richmond, VA

More Information

National Museum of Civil War Medicine
48 East Patrick Street
Frederick, MD 21705
(301) 695-1864

The Museum of the Confederacy
1201 East Clay Street
Richmond, VA 23219-1615
(804) 649-1861
1201 E. Clay St, Richmond, VA 

Andersons' correspondence

Related Content

Related Links


This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.


blog comments powered by Disqus