Support provided by:
Back in 1959 Joe Bidwell of Tucson, AZ saved his pennies to buy his first transistor radio. He still owns the Motorola and fondly remembers the freedom he felt listening to music with a radio he could fit in his pocket.
He watched the transistor revolutionize electronics, paving the way for personal computers, space travel and much more. Then about ten years ago Joe bought a Regency TR-1 at an online auction site. The TR-1 was the first transistor radio made in 1954. His has a serial number of 2067, which Joe thinks seems very low.
Joe asks History Detectives host Tukufu Zuberi to find out whether he has the oldest transistor radio in existence.
Transistor Radio Patent
- Also in Post War: 1945-1970 Pop Lloyd Baseball Field Why was this baseball field named after an African-American ballplayer in a time of racial tension?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Fiery Cross What is the story behind this record?
- Also in Post War: 1945-1970 Airstream Caravan Was this mobile home part of a modern-day wagon train halfway across the world?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Short Snorter Was this British ten-shilling note witness to the forging of the alliance between America and Britain?
- Also in Season 10 Bill Of Sale Who was this girl sold into slavery?
- Related Investigation Car Tape Deck Is this an example of the first ever commercially produced car tape player?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Post War object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentWhat is this glorifying the firearm (which is a semi-automatic by the way) of a criminal? (1 day ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (7 months ago)
- FacebookHow much do you think it will be worth in 50 years? (5 days ago)