Great Mexican War Posters
Support provided by:
While cleaning out the basement of an old home he’d recently purchased, a man from San Francisco discovered a stash of strange and colorful posters announcing the “Great Mexican War.”
They appear to be early 20th century advertising for news film of the Mexican Revolution. The posters read that a man named Charles Pryor made the films. If the posters prove to be authentic, does it mean that this mystery cinematographer was an eyewitness to the Mexican Revolution?
History Detectives examines a turning point in filmmaking history, when producers aimed to satisfy the American audience’s appetite for films of overseas events, at times walking a fine line between real-life and on-screen dramatic events.
- Also with Wes Cowan Ernie Pyle's Typewriter Did America’s most beloved battlefront correspondent bang out his dispatches on this Corona 3?
- Also with Wes Cowan Cleveland Electric Car What happened to the electric street car network in Cleveland?
- Also with Wes Cowan Civil War Deringers Are these pistols union or rebel?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Lawrence Billy Club Was this truncheon used in the famous Bread and Roses labor strike?
- Related Investigation WB Cartoons What can this curious artwork tell us about some of our most beloved cartoon characters?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Bootlegger's Notebook Does this book belong to a Prohibition era bootlegger?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from an Emerging Modern America?
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (6 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (6 months ago)