Great Mexican War Posters
Support provided by:
While cleaning out the basement of an old home he’d recently purchased, a man from San Francisco discovered a stash of strange and colorful posters announcing the “Great Mexican War.”
They appear to be early 20th century advertising for news film of the Mexican Revolution. The posters read that a man named Charles Pryor made the films. If the posters prove to be authentic, does it mean that this mystery cinematographer was an eyewitness to the Mexican Revolution?
History Detectives examines a turning point in filmmaking history, when producers aimed to satisfy the American audience’s appetite for films of overseas events, at times walking a fine line between real-life and on-screen dramatic events.
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 St Valentine's Day Massacre Was this weapon fired in one of the nation's most infamous crimes?
- Also with Wes Cowan George Washington Portrait Could this be an authentic portrait of the nation's first president?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Sears Home Might an Ohio couple's residence be a long-forgotten Sears home?
- Also with Wes Cowan Goering Gun Did this shotgun belong to Hitler's right hand man?
- Related Investigation Duke Ellington Plates What is the story behind the printing plates for this famous Jazz song?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Yakima Canutt's Saddle What leading role did this saddle play in the birth of the Hollywood cowboy?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from an Emerging Modern America?
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)