Harley Davidson Motorcycle
Support provided by:
A man in Flemington, NJ, has recently purchased a beautiful old Harley-Davidson motorcycle. The bike hasn’t seen the light of day since the 1940s when it was tucked away in a Wisconsin man’s shed.
The tank of this 1914 bike bears the "Cross of Lorraine," a historic symbol of French nationalism.
Harley-Davidson sold over 15,000 motorbikes to the U.S. military during World War I. Our contributor wants to know whether his bike clocked mileage in war-torn Europe.
Yet the Cross of Lorraine also served as the emblem for the U.S. National Tuberculosis Association in the early 1900s. What could this bike have to do with this dreaded disease?
As History Detectives uncovers clues about this early public health initiative to wipe out tuberculosis, the detectives delve deep in the Harley-Davidson archives to examine the company’s possible involvement in the campaign to eradicate the deadly "White Plague."
- Related Investigation Great Mexican War Posters Is this an advertisement for a film made by an eyewitness to the Mexican Revolution?
- Related Investigation Exercise Records What role did these records play in the sculpting of america's fixation with fitness?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Spanish Civil War Eulogy What can this faded document tell about a US volunteer fighting in another country’s civil war?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Seadrome Did floating airports dot the Atlantic before modern air travel?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Mystery Crystal Cross Where did this mysterious religious relic discovered in an old Spanish mission originally come from?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Amos n' Andy Record Is this aluminum record an early recording of the old-time radio series?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from an Emerging Modern America?
- Latest CommentWhat is this glorifying the firearm (which is a semi-automatic by the way) of a criminal? (3 days ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (7 months ago)
- FacebookSome wisdom as the day draws to a close. Like my page for more conversations. Enjoy your evening. Peace, Tukufu. (1 day ago)