Harley Davidson Motorcycle
Support provided by:
A man in Flemington, NJ, has recently purchased a beautiful old Harley-Davidson motorcycle. The bike hasn’t seen the light of day since the 1940s when it was tucked away in a Wisconsin man’s shed.
The tank of this 1914 bike bears the "Cross of Lorraine," a historic symbol of French nationalism.
Harley-Davidson sold over 15,000 motorbikes to the U.S. military during World War I. Our contributor wants to know whether his bike clocked mileage in war-torn Europe.
Yet the Cross of Lorraine also served as the emblem for the U.S. National Tuberculosis Association in the early 1900s. What could this bike have to do with this dreaded disease?
As History Detectives uncovers clues about this early public health initiative to wipe out tuberculosis, the detectives delve deep in the Harley-Davidson archives to examine the company’s possible involvement in the campaign to eradicate the deadly "White Plague."
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Cromwell Dixon Plane Fragment What could this faded scrap of fabric tell us about the first pilot to conquer the Continental Divide?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Star Spangled Banner Is this the first official copy of the national anthem?
- Also in Season 4 Calf Creek Arrow Is this arrow found in a bison skull just another hoax or an incredible archeological discovery?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Connecticut Farmhouse Why did this Connecticut farmhouse have so many owners in such a short space of time?
- Related Investigation Liberty Bell Pin Was one of America’s most iconic symbols melted down into a mere memento?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Transistor Radio Is this the oldest transistor radio in existence?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from an Emerging Modern America?
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)