Support provided by:
A contributor in Staten Island, New York has several film cans unseen since World War II which he believes may contain German home movies of Nazi officials, possibly even Hitler.
He received them from his wife’s uncle, a GI in Germany, who found the cans in the bombed ruins of the Old Opera House in the northern Bavarian town of Bayreuth.
The first glimpse at one of these fragile reels reveals intriguing footage of Hitler, Goebbels, Goering and Himmler apparently arriving at the Richard Wagner opera festival staged annually in Bayreuth.
History Detectives examines this film’s depiction of how the Nazis manipulated art and culture to bolster the party’s following.
- Related Investigation Powder Horn Who is the man etched into this powder horn?
- Also in Season 6 Slave Songbook Are these tattered pages the earliest record of music created by slaves?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Diana How did this alleged lesbian autobiography escape censorship in the 1930’s?
- Related Investigation Mussolini's Dagger Did a World War II GI return home with Mussolini's dagger?
- Also in this episode GAR Photograph How did two African Americans come to be part of this photograph in Reconstructionist-era America?
- Also with Gwen Wright Thomas Edison's House Was this New Jersey home built by inventor Thomas Edison?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Depression or World War II object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentWhat is this glorifying the firearm (which is a semi-automatic by the way) of a criminal? (2 days ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (7 months ago)
- FacebookSome wisdom as the day draws to a close. Like my page for more conversations. Enjoy your evening. Peace, Tukufu. (4 hours ago)