Support provided by:
A contributor in Staten Island, New York has several film cans unseen since World War II which he believes may contain German home movies of Nazi officials, possibly even Hitler.
He received them from his wife’s uncle, a GI in Germany, who found the cans in the bombed ruins of the Old Opera House in the northern Bavarian town of Bayreuth.
The first glimpse at one of these fragile reels reveals intriguing footage of Hitler, Goebbels, Goering and Himmler apparently arriving at the Richard Wagner opera festival staged annually in Bayreuth.
History Detectives examines this film’s depiction of how the Nazis manipulated art and culture to bolster the party’s following.
- Related Investigation WWII Landing Craft Did this vessel land tanks on the beaches of France during World War II?
- Related Investigation Clara Barton Letter What does this letter reveal about America's early efforts to honor its war dead?
- Also with Gwen Wright Revolutionary War Poem How did this poem, written by an American prisoner in England in 1780 end up in Oregon 200 years later?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Szyk Picture Could these be early drawings of America's most influential political cartoonist?
- Also in Season 6 Josh White Guitar What role did this guitar play in the transformation of the music industry in the 1960's?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Leopold Medal What does this medal reveal about a top-secret American Military project during WWII?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Depression or World War II object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)