Support provided by:
A contributor in Staten Island, New York has several film cans unseen since World War II which he believes may contain German home movies of Nazi officials, possibly even Hitler.
He received them from his wife’s uncle, a GI in Germany, who found the cans in the bombed ruins of the Old Opera House in the northern Bavarian town of Bayreuth.
The first glimpse at one of these fragile reels reveals intriguing footage of Hitler, Goebbels, Goering and Himmler apparently arriving at the Richard Wagner opera festival staged annually in Bayreuth.
History Detectives examines this film’s depiction of how the Nazis manipulated art and culture to bolster the party’s following.
- Also with Gwen Wright Home of Lincoln Assassination Plot Did the plot to assassinate Abraham Lincoln begin in this New York City building?
- Also in Season 5 Dempsey Fight Bell Is this the bell that sat ringside at the world's first boxing superstar's legendary match?
- Related Investigation Japanese Balloon Bomb Is this scrap of fabric evidence of a secret wartime attack on the United States' mainland?
- Related Investigation Yakima Canutt's Saddle What leading role did this saddle play in the birth of the Hollywood cowboy?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Alcoholics Anonymous Letter Is this letter proof of one man's contribution to this secretive society?
- Also with Gwen Wright WWI Chemical Warfare Map Could this map be an authentic relic from a critical WWI battle?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Depression or World War II object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (6 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (6 months ago)