In an appearance worthy of Houdini, a Chicago man replacing roof insulation in his home realized that the insulation material was in fact scores of old posters for a Harry Houdini magic show.
Master of illusion and escape artist, celebrated worldwide, Harry Houdini captivated crowds with his death-defying stunts and unique brand of magic which seemed to defy the very laws of nature.
Could such rare and random theater signs possibly be real?
With the theater where the alleged performance took place no longer in business, our contributor is eager to determine the poster’s authenticity as well as learn what kind of show Houdini was performing in Chicago. Houdini built his reputation on elaborate tricks and illusions, yet in later years, he devoted portions of his stage acts to questioning the spiritualists and clairvoyants who claimed they could contact the dead.
History Detectives ventures to New York City and Las Vegas to peer behind the magician’s veil, and examine the final chapter in Houdini’s career.
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Black Star Line Is this certificate a rare artifact from the heyday of Marcus Garvey?
- Also with Elyse Luray WWII Landing Craft Did this vessel land tanks on the beaches of France during World War II?
- Also with Elyse Luray Front Street Blockhouse Did this unassuming house protect an American colony from attack almost 300 years ago?
- Also with Gwen Wright Hitler Films Could these rusting film canisters contain unknown footage of one of the 20th century's most heinous murderers?
- Related Investigation Amelia Earhart Plane Was this piece of metal ripped from one of the most famous missing planes in history?
- Related Investigation Movie Palace Is this small Wisconsin town theater the country's first great movie palace?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.