Howard Hughes Invention
Support provided by:
In the early morning hours of June 1st, 1909, Howard Hughes Sr. packed a secret invention into the trunk of his car and drove off into the Texas plains.
At an oil well near Goose Creek, Texas, a crew of workers watched in awe as Hughes showed off his new creation: a twin-cone roller rock bit that would ultimately allow oilmen around the world to tap into previously unreachable oil reserves.
But was it in fact Hughes who invented this device? A man in San Jose, California has a letter that he believes will prove his grandfather deserves credit for the invention.
History Detectives travels to McMinnville, Oregon and Houston, Texas to explore the mysteries of the Texas oil industry and the Howard Hughes dynasty.
Howard Hughes' Patents
- Also with Gwen Wright Rebel Whiskey Flask Is this flask a relic from the historic "Whiskey Rebellion" of 1794?
- Also with Gwen Wright Continental Currency Could this $6 bill represent America’s first declaration of its independence?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Connecticut Farmhouse Why did this Connecticut farmhouse have so many owners in such a short space of time?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Red Hand Flag Is this peculiar flag one that African-American soldiers marched under in the war to end all wars?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Nora Holt Autograph Book Why did this Harlem Renaissance luminary own a book filled with U.S. Presidents' signatures?
- Also in this episode Wartime Baseball Is this baseball evidence of an unusual ballgame that took place during segregation?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from an Emerging Modern America?
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)