Howard Hughes Invention
Support provided by:
In the early morning hours of June 1st, 1909, Howard Hughes Sr. packed a secret invention into the trunk of his car and drove off into the Texas plains.
At an oil well near Goose Creek, Texas, a crew of workers watched in awe as Hughes showed off his new creation: a twin-cone roller rock bit that would ultimately allow oilmen around the world to tap into previously unreachable oil reserves.
But was it in fact Hughes who invented this device? A man in San Jose, California has a letter that he believes will prove his grandfather deserves credit for the invention.
History Detectives travels to McMinnville, Oregon and Houston, Texas to explore the mysteries of the Texas oil industry and the Howard Hughes dynasty.
Howard Hughes' Patents
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Thomas Edison's House Was this New Jersey home built by inventor Thomas Edison?
- Also with Gwen Wright Home of Lincoln Assassination Plot Did the plot to assassinate Abraham Lincoln begin in this New York City building?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Tiffany Window What can this watercolor reveal about the unexpected world of one of America’s great artists?
- Related Investigation Transistor Radio Is this the oldest transistor radio in existence?
- Also in Season 4 Calf Creek Arrow Is this arrow found in a bison skull just another hoax or an incredible archeological discovery?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Black Tom Shell Is this shell from a devastating act of foreign sabotage on American soil?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from an Emerging Modern America?
- Latest CommentWhat is this glorifying the firearm (which is a semi-automatic by the way) of a criminal? (3 days ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (7 months ago)
- FacebookSome wisdom as the day draws to a close. Like my page for more conversations. Enjoy your evening. Peace, Tukufu. (1 day ago)