Kahlil Gibran Painting
Support provided by:
A contributor from Overland Park, KS has an unsigned oil portrait of his grandfather, Najib Musa Diab, that he believes was painted by the Lebanese-American poet Kahlil Gibran, author of The Prophet.
His grandfather was a contemporary of Gibran, whose poetry was published by the Arabic-language newspaper that Diab founded in Brooklyn, New York.
Gibran and other Arab immigrants faced perplexing challenges as they balanced their new American identities with loyalties to their native lands when World War I changed the Middle East map and policy.
From this turmoil, Gibran found the unique blend of Eastern and Western philosophy that permeated his writing and art.
Did this period in Gibran's life also produce Diab's portrait? History Detectives finds out.
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Booth Letter Did the father of John Wilkes Booth threaten to assassinate the President?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Preston Brook's Riding Crop Was this riding crop a gift from Jefferson Davis as a reward for attacking a political opponent?
- Also in Season 7 Cemetery Alarm Was this explosive device used to stop a morbid black market trade?
- Also in Season 6 Mankato Spoon What does this delicate silver spoon have to do with the largest mass execution in American history?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Luxury Liner Picture Frame Is this picture frame a piece of the Titanic, Lusitania or neither?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Lindbergh Engine Could a 24-year-old have single-handedly built the engine for Lindbergh's plane?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from an Emerging Modern America?
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)