Cleaning out the garage after his father's death, a Vacaville, CA man found an ornate medal in an embossed red box.
Along with the medal he found a photograph of his father at an award ceremony in February of 1951 with a caption explaining the Belgian government bestowed upon him the “Order of Leopold.”
His father seldom talked about his military service, but our contributor has heard that his father led a company of Eastern European Jews with a mission to bring German deserters from behind enemy lines. The Belgian government award this honor for extreme bravery or meritorious service.
George Patton and Dwight Eisenhower have a Leopold Cross. What did our soldier do to earn this decoration? History Detectives host Gwendolyn Wright sets out to find out.
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Bonnie & Clyde's Bullets Are these the bullets that ended one of the most infamous crime-sprees in American history?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Blueprint Special Did this record play a dramatic role in the Allied victory during the Second World War?
- Also with Gwen Wright Monroe Letter Does this letter link America's President to the high seas piracy of U.S. merchant ships in the early 1800s?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Marion Carpenter Camera What might this battered camera reveal about a photographer who changed the image of a U.S president?
- Also with Gwen Wright U.S.S. Thresher Do these documents disclose information about U.S. secret weapons in the Cold War?
- Related Investigation John Hunt Morgan Saddle Could this be a saddle from one of the most audacious attacks launched by the South during the Civil War?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.