Support provided by:
Cleaning out the garage after his father's death, a Vacaville, CA man found an ornate medal in an embossed red box.
Along with the medal he found a photograph of his father at an award ceremony in February of 1951 with a caption explaining the Belgian government bestowed upon him the “Order of Leopold.”
His father seldom talked about his military service, but our contributor has heard that his father led a company of Eastern European Jews with a mission to bring German deserters from behind enemy lines. The Belgian government award this honor for extreme bravery or meritorious service.
George Patton and Dwight Eisenhower have a Leopold Cross. What did our soldier do to earn this decoration? History Detectives host Gwendolyn Wright sets out to find out.
- Related Investigation Our Colored Heroes Is this a WWI recruitment poster... or something else?
- Related Investigation Ernie Pyle's Typewriter Did America’s most beloved battlefront correspondent bang out his dispatches on this Corona 3?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Tokyo Rose Did this 1940s recording help convict the woman alleged to be "Tokyo Rose"?
- Also in Season 9 Yakima Canutt's Saddle What leading role did this saddle play in the birth of the Hollywood cowboy?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Hindenburg Artifact Was this device snatched from the burning wreckage of the ill-fated zeppelin?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Wartime Baseball Is this baseball evidence of an unusual ballgame that took place during segregation?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Depression or World War II object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentWhat is this glorifying the firearm (which is a semi-automatic by the way) of a criminal? (14 hours ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (7 months ago)
- FacebookHow much do you think it will be worth in 50 years? (4 days ago)