Support provided by:
For over 50 years our contributor has cherished an object he inherited from his late father. It’s a piece of fabric in Plexiglass with signatures of Charles Lindbergh and Igor Sikorsky and dated August 1943.
His father said the fabric came from the Spirit of St. Louis, the airplane Lindbergh flew non-stop from New York to Paris in 1927.
But why would helicopter inventor Igor Sikorsky sign this fabric? Since his father died when he was just a teen, our contributor didn’t have a chance to ask more about this souvenir.
History Detectives investigates.
Henry Ford Museum
20900 Oakwood Boulevard
Dearborn, MI 48124-4088
- Related Investigation John Brown Pike How did this metal blade spark violent tension between the North and the South?
- Also in this episode African American Comic Book Did the makers of this 1950s comic book have more than romance on their minds?
- Related Investigation Drone Propellor Could this propellor have powered a top secret weapon that transformed modern warfare?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Tokyo Rose Did this 1940s recording help convict the woman alleged to be "Tokyo Rose"?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Poison Pin Are these prototypes for poison suicide pins carried by spy plane pilots during the Cold War?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Iwo Jima Map What role did this map play in one of World War II's fiercest battles?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Depression or World War II object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)