Lost Gold Ship
Support provided by:
Environmentalist Gabriel Scott was working in the Copper River Delta near Cordova, Alaska, when he came across the wreckage of an old ship.
According to locals, these are the remains of the SS Portland, the famous steamship that carried 68 miners and nearly two tons of gold from the Klondike River to Seattle harbor and began the great Klondike Gold Rush of 1897.
Could the stories be true? To find out, History Detective Elyse Luray joins a team of experts in Alaska to investigate the wreck.
Mixing maritime history and forensic science, the team reveals the dramatic story of the SS Portland and confirms whether Scott has found the remains of this legendary ship.
- Also with Elyse Luray Coca Cola Trade Card Could this card be a unique piece of early Coca-Cola advertising?
- Also with Elyse Luray Szyk Picture Could these be early drawings of America's most influential political cartoonist?
- Also in Season 2 Body In The Basement Are these the remains of an executed prisoner of war from an English Civil War battle?
- Also with Elyse Luray Movie Palace Is this small Wisconsin town theater the country's first great movie palace?
- Also in Season 2 First Movie Studio Could a broken gateway once have been the grand entrance to a Hollywood studio?
- Also in Season 2 Internment Artwork What is the story behind these watercolor paintings of a prison camp?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object that may have played a starring role in American history? Let the History Detectives solve your mystery!
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (6 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (6 months ago)