Lost Gold Ship
Support provided by:
Environmentalist Gabriel Scott was working in the Copper River Delta near Cordova, Alaska, when he came across the wreckage of an old ship.
According to locals, these are the remains of the SS Portland, the famous steamship that carried 68 miners and nearly two tons of gold from the Klondike River to Seattle harbor and began the great Klondike Gold Rush of 1897.
Could the stories be true? To find out, History Detective Elyse Luray joins a team of experts in Alaska to investigate the wreck.
Mixing maritime history and forensic science, the team reveals the dramatic story of the SS Portland and confirms whether Scott has found the remains of this legendary ship.
- Also with Elyse Luray Pete Gray Cartoon Do these unsigned drawings from the golden age of comics tell the tale of a real life superhero?
- Related Investigation Kittery Telescope What can this telescope reveal about America’s earliest struggles for independence?
- Also in Season 2 Koranic School Book Why does this 200 year old schoolbook contain two translated passages from the Koran?
- Also with Elyse Luray Birth Control Box Could this unusual wooden box be an early contraceptive device?
- Also in Season 2 Thomas Edison's House Was this New Jersey home built by inventor Thomas Edison?
- Also with Elyse Luray Chicago Clock What role did this clock play in keeping 19th century America running on time?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object that may have played a starring role in American history? Let the History Detectives solve your mystery!
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (2 weeks ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (8 months ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (2 weeks ago)