Lost Gold Ship
Environmentalist Gabriel Scott was working in the Copper River Delta near Cordova, Alaska, when he came across the wreckage of an old ship.
According to locals, these are the remains of the SS Portland, the famous steamship that carried 68 miners and nearly two tons of gold from the Klondike River to Seattle harbor and began the great Klondike Gold Rush of 1897.
Could the stories be true? To find out, History Detective Elyse Luray joins a team of experts in Alaska to investigate the wreck.
Mixing maritime history and forensic science, the team reveals the dramatic story of the SS Portland and confirms whether Scott has found the remains of this legendary ship.
- Also in Season 2 Red Cloud's Peace Pipe Was this pipe given to an Indian agent by the famous Lakota warrior Chief Red Cloud?
- Also with Elyse Luray Civil War Soldier Photo Is this the photo of a Civil War soldier actually a woman in disguise?
- Related Investigation Galleon Shipwreck Is this a piece of treasure from a Spanish galleon washed up on an Oregon beach?
- Also with Elyse Luray Revolutionary War Cannon Is this the cannon that ignited the first battle of the Revolutionary War?
- Also with Elyse Luray Dueling Pistols Were these pistols used in the last great duel on U.S. soil?
- Related Investigation Chinese Opium Scale Could this really be an opium scale from the Chinese community of Montana?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.