Lost Gold Ship
Support provided by:
Environmentalist Gabriel Scott was working in the Copper River Delta near Cordova, Alaska, when he came across the wreckage of an old ship.
According to locals, these are the remains of the SS Portland, the famous steamship that carried 68 miners and nearly two tons of gold from the Klondike River to Seattle harbor and began the great Klondike Gold Rush of 1897.
Could the stories be true? To find out, History Detective Elyse Luray joins a team of experts in Alaska to investigate the wreck.
Mixing maritime history and forensic science, the team reveals the dramatic story of the SS Portland and confirms whether Scott has found the remains of this legendary ship.
- Related Investigation Kittery Telescope What can this telescope reveal about America’s earliest struggles for independence?
- Also with Elyse Luray General Lee's Farewell Address Could this be a signed copy of one of the most famous documents in the history of the Civil War?
- Also with Elyse Luray Early Monopoly Could this be the earliest version of the world's best-selling board game?
- Also with Elyse Luray Muhlenberg Robe Was this robe torn off during a fiery sermon to rally congregants to the cause of the Revolutionary War?
- Also in Season 2 Shippen Golf Club Was this the golf club used by John Shippen when he made sporting history in the 1896 U.S. Open?
- Also in Season 2 George Washington Portrait Could this be an authentic portrait of the nation's first president?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryHistory Detectives is not accepting subissions at this time.
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)