Luxury Liner Picture Frame
Robert Martorana and Cathy McIsaac always wondered about the odd-looking frame on their grandmother’s shelf. Growing up, both heard incredible stories about where it came from.
Robert believes the frame was made from a piece of the Titanic. Cathy heard it was made from a piece of the Lusitania. But both were told that their great-grandfather worked on a ship that recovered bodies after the Titanic sank in April of 1912 and the Lusitania was torpedoed in May of 1915. He grabbed a floating piece of wood and had it made into a frame.
With all the fake artifacts from both ships in the marketplace, Robert and Cathy ask History Detectives host Elyse Luray to find out whether this picture frame is the genuine article.
Maritime Museum of the Atlantic
1675 Lower Water Street
Halifax, B3J 1S3
Dartmouth Heritage Museum
26 Newcastle Street
Dartmouth, NS B2Y 3M5
Francis Dyke Letter
- Also with Elyse Luray Hindenburg Artifact Was this device snatched from the burning wreckage of the ill-fated zeppelin?
- Related Investigation Jefferson Pledge Did the transformation of the nation's public education system begin with this $200 pledge?
- Also with Elyse Luray WPA Mural Studies Are these unusual paintings part of the biggest job creation program in America's history?
- Related Investigation Shipwreck Cannons Are these the last remains of a navy schooner that fought in a border dispute with the mighty British Empire?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Bonus Army Stamp Is this stamp connected to a moment when the U.S. Army fought fellow soldiers in the nation’s capital?
- Also in Season 10 Vietnam War Diary Why did this story capture international interest?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.