Luxury Liner Picture Frame
Robert Martorana and Cathy McIsaac always wondered about the odd-looking frame on their grandmother’s shelf. Growing up, both heard incredible stories about where it came from.
Robert believes the frame was made from a piece of the Titanic. Cathy heard it was made from a piece of the Lusitania. But both were told that their great-grandfather worked on a ship that recovered bodies after the Titanic sank in April of 1912 and the Lusitania was torpedoed in May of 1915. He grabbed a floating piece of wood and had it made into a frame.
With all the fake artifacts from both ships in the marketplace, Robert and Cathy ask History Detectives host Elyse Luray to find out whether this picture frame is the genuine article.
Maritime Museum of the Atlantic
1675 Lower Water Street
Halifax, B3J 1S3
Dartmouth Heritage Museum
26 Newcastle Street
Dartmouth, NS B2Y 3M5
Francis Dyke Letter
- Also with Elyse Luray 1775 Almanac What do these crumbling pages reveal about divided loyalties during the American Revolution?
- Also with Elyse Luray Wartime Baseball Is this baseball evidence of an unusual ballgame that took place during segregation?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 McKinley Casket Flag Did this flag once drape the casket of President William McKinley?
- Related Investigation Society Circus Program Why are some of New York's wealthiest planning a circus at the depth of the Great Depression?
- Also with Elyse Luray Muhlenberg Robe Was this robe torn off during a fiery sermon to rally congregants to the cause of the Revolutionary War?
- Related Investigation Szyk Picture Could these be early drawings of America's most influential political cartoonist?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.