Support provided by:
Searching through his great-grandfather's belongings a San Antonio man finds Mexican currency and suspects that his family printing firm had a link to revolutionary leaders Zapata and Pancho Villa.
1910: Frustration due to President Porfirio Diaz's economic policies boils over and the Mexican Revolution begins. Legend has it that during the course of the revolution, millions of pesos were being printed in Texas in a covert operation run by a shady group of rebels. The money was smuggled by moonlight across the Rio Grande and into the hands of the revolutionaries.
Did our contributor's money play a part in the Mexican Revolution?
- Also with Elyse Luray Grace Kelly Car Is this the car driven by an actress turned princess, which would give it a place in cinematic history?
- Also in Season 1 John Brown Letters How is this woman in Sacramento related to John Brown, the 19th-century abolitionist?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Red Hand Flag Is this peculiar flag one that African-American soldiers marched under in the war to end all wars?
- Also with Elyse Luray Cannon House Could this family home once have been the headquarters of the kidnapper and slave trader Patty Cannon?
- Also with Elyse Luray Chisholm Trail Did the Chisholm Trail really run through this small town in Texas?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Sears Home Might an Ohio couple's residence be a long-forgotten Sears home?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from an Emerging Modern America?
- Latest CommentI have a Pearl Harbor story. It involves a bracelet that was fashioned from the dial labels of one of the kamikaze fighter jets. The dashboard was pulled out before the plane went up in flames after it had crashed. The bracelet was given to my grandmother, (3 hours ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (7 months ago)
- FacebookSome wisdom as the day draws to a close. Like my page for more conversations. Enjoy your evening. Peace, Tukufu. (2 days ago)