Support provided by:
Searching through his great-grandfather's belongings a San Antonio man finds Mexican currency and suspects that his family printing firm had a link to revolutionary leaders Zapata and Pancho Villa.
1910: Frustration due to President Porfirio Diaz's economic policies boils over and the Mexican Revolution begins. Legend has it that during the course of the revolution, millions of pesos were being printed in Texas in a covert operation run by a shady group of rebels. The money was smuggled by moonlight across the Rio Grande and into the hands of the revolutionaries.
Did our contributor's money play a part in the Mexican Revolution?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Teddy Roosevelt War Club What could this strange object have to do with Teddy Roosevelt and his run for a third term presidency?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Movie Palace Is this small Wisconsin town theater the country's first great movie palace?
- Also with Elyse Luray Hindenburg Artifact Was this device snatched from the burning wreckage of the ill-fated zeppelin?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Harlem Heirs How is this ornate document connected to the earliest settlers of New York City and a potential multi-million dollar land dispute?
- Also in Season 1 Sears Home Might an Ohio couple's residence be a long-forgotten Sears home?
- Also with Elyse Luray Bootlegger's Notebook Does this book belong to a Prohibition era bootlegger?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from an Emerging Modern America?
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (6 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (6 months ago)