Support provided by:
Is it possible that a theater in the small town of Baraboo, Wisconsin, could have been the country's first great movie palace?
The exquisite theater, was built by circus impresario and local resident, Al Ringling, as a thank-you to the town that had always supported him. It was designed in 1915 by Chicago architects C.W. and George Rapp, and is a masterpiece in the style of the great French opera houses.
But at the time Baraboo had a population of less than a thousand.
Why was such an ornate theater erected in such an obscure location, and how has it stayed relevant throughout the years?
The History Detectives enlist the help of the Theatre Historical Society of America to solve the mystery of this grand edifice.
- Also with Gwen Wright "Scottsboro Boys" Stamp Did a penny stamp help save the Scottsboro Boys from the electric chair?
- Also with Gwen Wright Alcoholics Anonymous Letter Is this letter proof of one man's contribution to this secretive society?
- Also in Season 1 George Washington Portrait Could this be an authentic portrait of the nation's first president?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Mexican Currency What role did this money play in the Mexican Revolution?
- Also with Gwen Wright Old Fire Station Did President Ulysses S. Grant stop by a New Jersey firehouse on the centennial of America?
- Also in Season 1 Boarding House Flag Did this flag once save a boarding house from being burned down at the height of the Civil War?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from an Emerging Modern America?
- Latest CommentWhat is this glorifying the firearm (which is a semi-automatic by the way) of a criminal? (2 days ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (7 months ago)
- FacebookSome wisdom as the day draws to a close. Like my page for more conversations. Enjoy your evening. Peace, Tukufu. (4 hours ago)