Support provided by:
Is it possible that a theater in the small town of Baraboo, Wisconsin, could have been the country's first great movie palace?
The exquisite theater, was built by circus impresario and local resident, Al Ringling, as a thank-you to the town that had always supported him. It was designed in 1915 by Chicago architects C.W. and George Rapp, and is a masterpiece in the style of the great French opera houses.
But at the time Baraboo had a population of less than a thousand.
Why was such an ornate theater erected in such an obscure location, and how has it stayed relevant throughout the years?
The History Detectives enlist the help of the Theatre Historical Society of America to solve the mystery of this grand edifice.
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Spybook What does this little black book reveal about spying on the home front during World War I?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Navajo Rug Why would a weaver depart from tradition to make this rug?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Bonus Army Stamp Is this stamp connected to a moment when the U.S. Army fought fellow soldiers in the nation’s capital?
- Related Investigation Home of Lincoln Assassination Plot Did the plot to assassinate Abraham Lincoln begin in this New York City building?
- Also with Elyse Luray Civil War Cannon How did the contents of this glass tube impact the first hours of the Civil War?
- Related Investigation Sears Home Might an Ohio couple's residence be a long-forgotten Sears home?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from an Emerging Modern America?
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)