In the late spring of 1945, in some of the bloodiest fighting of World War Two, Allied forces move north through Italy, liberating towns from Fascist control. Italy’s leader, Benito Mussolini, is in hiding.
A deadly cat and mouse game unfolds as members of the American spy service, the OSS, hunt for Mussolini, to try him as a war criminal. But Il Duce has terrorized Italians for twenty one years – and the US Military are in a race with Italian Partisans who want vengeance.
Jerry Steichen, of Reno, Nevada, has a weapon which he believes may be connected to the last days of the world’s first fascist state. Jerry wants to know if a dagger his uncle brought back from the war belonged to Mussolini himself.
- Also in Season 8 Andrew Jackson's Mouth How was this wood fragment connected to one of the most celebrated political protests of the 19th century?
- Also in Season 8 Bartlett Sketchbook Does a leather bound sketchbook hold the key to some of the US' most significant history?
- Also with Wes Cowan Slave Banjo Is this the only surviving banjo carried by former slaves following Emancipation?
- Related Investigation Drone Propellor Could this propellor have powered a top secret weapon that transformed modern warfare?
- Also with Wes Cowan Red Cloud's Peace Pipe Was this pipe given to an Indian agent by the famous Lakota warrior Chief Red Cloud?
- Related Investigation Goering Gun Did this shotgun belong to Hitler's right hand man?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.