Support provided by:
History Detectives investigates the mystery behind an unusual Navajo rug.
To the Navajo, weaving is more than a simple craft – it is a spiritual practice, connecting the weaver to the spirits of earth and sky. Their symbols tell stories from Navajo beliefs. But tradition also holds that some symbols are too sacred for the loom and to capture them risks harm to the weaver or their family.
Our contributor from Lompoc, California has a rug with a series of baffling symbols and wants to know what the story is behind this rug and who the weaver could have been.
History Detectives meets with a Navajo medicine man and a traditional Navajo weaver and tries to discover if the weaver violated a taboo to create this rug.
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Isleton Tong Was this building a safe haven for persecuted immigrants, or a hub for organized crime?
- Related Investigation Modoc Basket What tales does this basket weave of the heroism of an American-Indian woman?
- Also in Season 7 WWII Diary Does this diary hold the key to understanding the fate of a missing bomber pilot from World War II?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Lawrence Billy Club Was this truncheon used in the famous Bread and Roses labor strike?
- Also in Season 7 Seadrome Did floating airports dot the Atlantic before modern air travel?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Movie Palace Is this small Wisconsin town theater the country's first great movie palace?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from an Emerging Modern America?
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)