History Detectives investigates the mystery behind an unusual Navajo rug.
To the Navajo, weaving is more than a simple craft – it is a spiritual practice, connecting the weaver to the spirits of earth and sky. Their symbols tell stories from Navajo beliefs. But tradition also holds that some symbols are too sacred for the loom and to capture them risks harm to the weaver or their family.
Our contributor from Lompoc, California has a rug with a series of baffling symbols and wants to know what the story is behind this rug and who the weaver could have been.
History Detectives meets with a Navajo medicine man and a traditional Navajo weaver and tries to discover if the weaver violated a taboo to create this rug.
- Also in Season 7 Seadrome Did floating airports dot the Atlantic before modern air travel?
- Related Investigation Mystery Crystal Cross Where did this mysterious religious relic discovered in an old Spanish mission originally come from?
- Also in Season 7 Manhattan Project Patent Was this drawing part of America's secret plans to fuel the atomic bomb?
- Related Investigation China Marine Jacket Can the symbols on this jacket identify a marine who may have witnessed paradise tumbling into disaster?
- Also in Season 7 John Adams Book Was this book a gift from John Adams to his son?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Harley Davidson Motorcycle Did this motorcycle see action in World War I?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.