History Detectives investigates the mystery behind an unusual Navajo rug.
To the Navajo, weaving is more than a simple craft – it is a spiritual practice, connecting the weaver to the spirits of earth and sky. Their symbols tell stories from Navajo beliefs. But tradition also holds that some symbols are too sacred for the loom and to capture them risks harm to the weaver or their family.
Our contributor from Lompoc, California has a rug with a series of baffling symbols and wants to know what the story is behind this rug and who the weaver could have been.
History Detectives meets with a Navajo medicine man and a traditional Navajo weaver and tries to discover if the weaver violated a taboo to create this rug.
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Silent Film Reel Could this film reel could be a silent movie once lost forever to history?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Dempsey Fight Bell Is this the bell that sat ringside at the world's first boxing superstar's legendary match?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Mexican Currency What role did this money play in the Mexican Revolution?
- Related Investigation African American Comic Book Did the makers of this 1950s comic book have more than romance on their minds?
- Related Investigation Carson Family Secrets Is this book a Carson family heirloom?
- Also in Season 7 Mussolini's Dagger Did a World War II GI return home with Mussolini's dagger?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.