Support provided by:
History Detectives peers inside a black box that may shed light on some of the darkest days of the Cold War. The US atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945 raised the stakes of modern warfare.
Almost immediately after World War Two, America’s former ally, the U.S.S.R., became her Cold War archenemy. The Soviet Union’s surprise testing of its own atomic bomb in 1949 helped trigger a nuclear arms race, with each side pursuing ever more costly and deadly technologies.
More than sixty years after the start of the Cold War, Wayne Gilbert, of Westminster, Colorado, has stumbled across an interesting discovery. Was this device invented to help Americans believe they could survive a soviet nuclear attack?
- Also with Gwen Wright Body In The Basement Are these the remains of an executed prisoner of war from an English Civil War battle?
- Also with Gwen Wright Face Jug What does this ceramic face reveal about the Middle Passage and a captive people’s search for identity?
- Also with Gwen Wright Lauste Film Clip How is this odd strip of film connected to the invention of talking movies?
- Also in Post War: 1945-1970 Cesar Chavez Banner What role did this banner play in one of the most famous civil rights campaigns in U.S. history?
- Also in Season 7 Galleon Shipwreck Is this a piece of treasure from a Spanish galleon washed up on an Oregon beach?
- Related Investigation U.S.S. Thresher Do these documents disclose information about U.S. secret weapons in the Cold War?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Post War object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)