Support provided by:
History Detectives peers inside a black box that may shed light on some of the darkest days of the Cold War. The US atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945 raised the stakes of modern warfare.
Almost immediately after World War Two, America’s former ally, the U.S.S.R., became her Cold War archenemy. The Soviet Union’s surprise testing of its own atomic bomb in 1949 helped trigger a nuclear arms race, with each side pursuing ever more costly and deadly technologies.
More than sixty years after the start of the Cold War, Wayne Gilbert, of Westminster, Colorado, has stumbled across an interesting discovery. Was this device invented to help Americans believe they could survive a soviet nuclear attack?
- Also with Gwen Wright Sears Home Might an Ohio couple's residence be a long-forgotten Sears home?
- Also with Gwen Wright Women's Suffrage Painting What role did this watercolor painting play in securing women the right to vote?
- Also with Gwen Wright Japanese House How did a Japanese house come to be at the San Francisco World's Fair just months before WWII began?
- Also in Post War: 1945-1970 Vietnam War Diary Why did this story capture international interest?
- Related Investigation Rebel Whiskey Flask Is this flask a relic from the historic "Whiskey Rebellion" of 1794?
- Also in Season 7 Duke Ellington Plates What is the story behind the printing plates for this famous Jazz song?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Post War object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentI actually just found #3 and googled it and came up with this story. I am amazed that I have this in my posession. Yes, I am going to auction it. (8 hours ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (7 months ago)
- FacebookWes here -- hope everyone is having a great long weekend. As you enjoy your time with friends or family , take a minute to remember all those who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country. (17 hours ago)