Two Boston brothers have heard a rumor that two large propellers on the grounds of a hotel in Newport originally came from a German submarine that sank off the coast of Rhode Island at the end of WWII.
The brothers are especially interested in the story because their father, who served in the Navy during the war, was killed when a U-boat sank his ship off the coast of Maine in 1945.
The brothers want to know if the Newport propellers come from a submarine, and if so, whether or not they belong to the submarine that killed their father.
History Detectives travels to Rhode Island to investigate this case and discovers a remarkable story of cover-ups and conspiracies that could have changed the course of WWII.
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Bill Picket Saddle Did this saddle ride into cowboy history with one of rodeo's most daring innovators?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Lee Family Doll Did this doll belong to a former slave of General Robert E. Lee?
- Related Investigation Superman Sketch Is this a WWII sketch from the early days of this comic icon?
- Related Investigation Short Snorter Was this British ten-shilling note witness to the forging of the alliance between America and Britain?
- Also in Season 2 Dueling Pistols Were these pistols used in the last great duel on U.S. soil?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Texas Servant Girl Murders Years before Jack the Ripper, did a serial killer walk the streets of Austin, TX?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.