Two Boston brothers have heard a rumor that two large propellers on the grounds of a hotel in Newport originally came from a German submarine that sank off the coast of Rhode Island at the end of WWII.
The brothers are especially interested in the story because their father, who served in the Navy during the war, was killed when a U-boat sank his ship off the coast of Maine in 1945.
The brothers want to know if the Newport propellers come from a submarine, and if so, whether or not they belong to the submarine that killed their father.
History Detectives travels to Rhode Island to investigate this case and discovers a remarkable story of cover-ups and conspiracies that could have changed the course of WWII.
- Related Investigation Superman Sketch Is this a WWII sketch from the early days of this comic icon?
- Also in Season 2 Dueling Pistols Were these pistols used in the last great duel on U.S. soil?
- Related Investigation Mussolini's Dagger Did a World War II GI return home with Mussolini's dagger?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Stalag 17 Portrait What happened to the artist of this portrait made in a German POW camp?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Atocha Spanish Silver What are these markings on a silver bar discovered in the wreck of a Spanish ship?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Who Killed Jimmy Hoffa? Teamster boss Jimmy Hoffa disappeared without a trace in 1975. Was he murdered? If so, who killed him and why?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.