Old Fire Station
Support provided by:
Did President Ulysses S. Grant stop by a Morristown, New Jersey, firehouse on the centennial of America?
A firefighter has found a logbook that could be evidence of an extraordinary presidential visit. Halfway down the front page is what appears to be the signature of President Ulysses S. Grant, dated the 4th of July, 1876, the centennial of the signing of the Declaration of Independence.
Was the the Commander-in-Chief really in town on such a historic date? Or could the signature be a fake?
The History Detectives scour old records and speak to experts in an effort to uncover the truth.
- Also with Wes Cowan Mouse Toy Could this tiny toy labeled 'Micky' be the original Mickey Mouse?
- Also with Wes Cowan Cemetery Alarm Was this explosive device used to stop a morbid black market trade?
- Also with Wes Cowan Cleveland Electric Car What happened to the electric street car network in Cleveland?
- Related Investigation Civil War Submarine Is this submarine an example of new technology developed by the Confederates during the Civil War?
- Related Investigation Civil War Soldier Photo Is this the photo of a Civil War soldier actually a woman in disguise?
- Also in Season 1 Bonnie & Clyde's Bullets Are these the bullets that ended one of the most infamous crime-sprees in American history?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Civil War object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)