Support provided by:
A miniaturist recently rediscovered a purchase he had made at an auction several years before.
Wrapped in a newspaper dated 1960 were two peculiar pins that had been manipulated so they could contain some kind of liquid.
Could these pins be the actual prototypes of a poison-filled pin that U2 pilot Gary Powers was carrying when his spy plane was shot down over the Soviet Union in the early years of the Cold War?
History Detectives heads to Washington D.C. and top secret Army base, Fort Detrick, Maryland to take a closer look at Cold War intrigue and the device that may have fueled the ultimate showdown.
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Bonnie & Clyde's Bullets Are these the bullets that ended one of the most infamous crime-sprees in American history?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Empire State Building Plane Crash Piece Does this piece of metal belong to the plane that crashed into the Empire State Building?
- Related Investigation Little Bighorn Bayonet Could this bayonet have been used at one of the largest massacres of U.S. soldiers by American Indians?
- Also with Elyse Luray Chinese Opium Scale Could this really be an opium scale from the Chinese community of Montana?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Pretty Boy Floyd's Gun Did this vintage Colt handgun belong to the outlaw Charles "Pretty Boy" Floyd?
- Related Investigation Satelloon Could this three-inch square of metallic material be part of America's first satellite program?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Depression or World War II object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)