Support provided by:
A miniaturist recently rediscovered a purchase he had made at an auction several years before.
Wrapped in a newspaper dated 1960 were two peculiar pins that had been manipulated so they could contain some kind of liquid.
Could these pins be the actual prototypes of a poison-filled pin that U2 pilot Gary Powers was carrying when his spy plane was shot down over the Soviet Union in the early years of the Cold War?
History Detectives heads to Washington D.C. and top secret Army base, Fort Detrick, Maryland to take a closer look at Cold War intrigue and the device that may have fueled the ultimate showdown.
- Related Investigation Black Tom Shell Is this shell from a devastating act of foreign sabotage on American soil?
- Also with Elyse Luray Shippen Golf Club Was this the golf club used by John Shippen when he made sporting history in the 1896 U.S. Open?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 China Marine Jacket Can the symbols on this jacket identify a marine who may have witnessed paradise tumbling into disaster?
- Related Investigation Space Boot What does this odd-looking boot have to do with America's first steps in space?
- Also with Elyse Luray Flint Lock Rifle Was this the gun of one of the most infamous bandits operating to undermine the birth of our nation?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Early Monopoly Could this be the earliest version of the world's best-selling board game?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Depression or World War II object? Submit your story now.
- Latest Commentthat's unique, if anyone has anything similar to this, then you should do what i do, share your artwork on Art Radio it is one the best up and coming social media platforms for musicians and artists. (3 days ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (7 months ago)
- FacebookHow much do you think it will be worth in 50 years? (3 days ago)