Support provided by:
According to family history, ten year-old Joseph was wriggling his toes in the mud when he felt something solid. He reached down and pulled out a powder horn engraved with the words: For Captain Richard Cobb - 1762.
After all these years, Joseph’s son Robert wonders, who is Captain Richard Cobb and what is the story behind this horn. He takes his question to History Detectives host Gwen Wright.
30 Fort Ti Road
Ticonderoga, NY 12883
New England Historic Genealogical Society
99-101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116
- Related Investigation GAR Photograph How did two African Americans come to be part of this photograph in Reconstructionist-era America?
- Also with Gwen Wright Geronimo Photograph Is this photo really an image of the legendary Apache warrior Geronimo?
- Also with Gwen Wright Frank Zappa Collage Is the artist who created this piece Frank Zappa?
- Related Investigation Copperhead Cane How did this cane inspire a fiery political movement that threatened Lincoln's presidency?
- Also in Colonization: 1585-1763 Front Street Blockhouse Did this unassuming house protect an American colony from attack almost 300 years ago?
- Also with Gwen Wright Harlem Heirs How is this ornate document connected to the earliest settlers of New York City and a potential multi-million dollar land dispute?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Colonization: 1585-1763 object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentI actually just found #3 and googled it and came up with this story. I am amazed that I have this in my posession. Yes, I am going to auction it. (7 hours ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (7 months ago)
- FacebookWes here -- hope everyone is having a great long weekend. As you enjoy your time with friends or family , take a minute to remember all those who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country. (16 hours ago)