Pretty Boy Floyd's Gun
Support provided by:
A man owns a vintage Colt automatic handgun, which family legend suggests once belonged to the Depression-era desperado, Charles "Pretty Boy" Floyd.
According to the legend, Floyd gave the gun to the contributor's uncle who had served as the lookout for "Pretty Boy".
To find out if the story behind the gun is true, History Detective Wes Cowan travels to California, Oklahoma and Missouri.
In the process, he discovers why gangsters became heroes to the rural population of the Midwest and reveals the true story behind the dramatic rise and fall of a man who ranks alongside Bonnie and Clyde and John Dillinger as one of the most colorful bank robbers in American history.
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Lou Gehrig Autograph Did Lou Gehrig autograph this ticket on the day he announced his retirement?
- Related Investigation Black Tom Shell Is this shell from a devastating act of foreign sabotage on American soil?
- Related Investigation Universal Friends What can this 200-year-old document reveal about the first American-born woman to lead a religious movement?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Survivor Camera Did this antique camera save a Polish Jew during the Holocaust?
- Also with Wes Cowan McKinley Casket Flag Did this flag once drape the casket of President William McKinley?
- Also with Wes Cowan Mouse Toy Could this tiny toy labeled 'Micky' be the original Mickey Mouse?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Depression or World War II object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentWhat is this glorifying the firearm (which is a semi-automatic by the way) of a criminal? (3 days ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (7 months ago)
- FacebookSome wisdom as the day draws to a close. Like my page for more conversations. Enjoy your evening. Peace, Tukufu. (1 day ago)